We all hate to be bored. We live in an era of FOMO and are constantly looking for ways to keep life exciting. But a lot of the time, we mistake doing nothing as boredom, when truly being bored is actually so much more than that. вЂњBoredom most often results from repetition, routine, and laziness,вЂќ says psychologist Vivian Diller. вЂњSo any activity that adds novelty and stimulation alleviates boredom.вЂќ
вЂњPeople aren't struggling with a lack of things to do, but rather too much of things that don't bring much satisfaction or joy,вЂќ saysВ Lindsay Henderson, PsyD, a psychologist who treats patients via telehealth app LiveHealth Online. вЂњThis is why finding something that brings you happiness is important to all of our lives.вЂќFree People
We are all different; what may be engaging to one person isn't going to be the same for the next. Henderson says to make a list of things that will personally engage you and complement your lifestyle. вЂњFor example, if your work keeps you isolated or sedentary, try being social and active,вЂќ she says. вЂњAlternatively, if you interact with others throughout most of the day, try something a bit more solitary, like painting.вЂќ
In other words, we should look for activities that do more than just get us out of bed or to pass the time; we need activities that really change up our routine and stimulate the brain. That is the true key to finding something that will make us happy. вЂњThis is basic psychology 101: activities that meet our needs and desires lead to satisfaction and happiness,вЂќ says Diller. вЂњIf we ignore this basic desire for stimulation, we tend to feel less alive and happy.вЂќ
Both Diller and Henderson have given us basic thought starters on things to do that will not only keep us from being boredВ but lift up our mood as well.В Here are some of their recommendations.Getty Images
- Go for a run.В Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people aren't bored.
- Take a walk.В Sometimes you need to just get some fresh air and stretch your legs. It's also a great way to clear your head and maybe discover something new about an area you thought you were familiar with.
- Take an exercise class.В Find one you've never tried before, but have always wanted to.
- Read.В Books have the power to take our minds on an adventure. Sign up forВ Book of the Month ClubВ to find the latest goodВ read.
- Listen to a new podcast.В We love podcasts. Our rec:В Pod Save America; the bros of the Obama administration analyze the current political landscape and offer the funniest and wittiest commentary.
- Attend a lecture.В It's a great way to learn something new without having to worry about getting a good grade.
- Go to a new museum.В We're big advocates on going by yourself to really immerse yourself.
- Go see a new movie.В We'reВ found that people go out to the movies less now and that's a shame. Go grab a friend or go solo to your nearest theater and watch the newest film out right now.
- Call up a friend.В Go through your Facebook or have someone pick a random name in your phonebook and call up a friend you haven't spoken to in awhile.
- Explore.В Go to a place you've never been to before.
- Go out to dinner with friends.В It's easy to get into the habit of just going out to drink with friends at bars and clubs. Change it up and gather everyone for dinner to catch up and get into some great discussions.
- Find a new place to eat out.В Going out to eat is a great activity in itself, but make it more fun by trying out a place that just opened or a place that's been on your restaurant bucket list.
- Meditate.В Our mental health is so important and this will help clear your mind of all the clutter.
- Start a hobby.В We suggest you pick something that has nothing to do with your current occupation or skill set; it'll push you out of your comfort zone and really make you think outside the box.
- Keep a journal.В It's therapeutic to get all your feelings and thoughts out. It's also a great outlet for your emotions.
- Start a DIY projectВ at home.
- Learn a new language.В Find classes, download an app, or invest in Rosetta stone. Whichever you choose, learning a new language is a fun way to keep your brain actively thinking.
- Volunteer.В LookВ for an organization that fights for a cause you're passionate about.
- Go to a comedy show.В There's no way you'll be bored if you're laughing. This is also a great way toВ discover new comedians.
- Turn your cell phone offВ for a couple of hours.
- WatchВ TED Talks.В You can watch lectures from the comfort of your own home.
- Create a playlistВ of songs from your favorite artists.
- Go see a band play live.В There's something about live music that is truly magical. It doesn't need to be a big artist for it to be fun either.
- Buy an adultВ coloring book.В Call your inner artist and get creative.
- Clean and organize a room in your home.В We all like to put off cleaning and no better time to do it when you have nothing else to do.
- Take a class to improve your craft.В We're all about bettering ourselves. Invest in your talent and find classes that will help better your skillset.
- Find new websites to visit based off of your interests withВ StumbleUpon.В You'll be stuck in an internet hole in the best way possible; this site shows you.
- Learn a new recipe (or how to cook in general).В This is a skill that will only help you.
- Catch up on much-needed sleep.
- Play gamesВ (not in love) like charades orВ Heads Up!В with friends. Some friendly competition never hurt anyone.
- Learn fun triviaВ about your favorite TV show, movie, hometown, or anything.
- Start and complete a puzzle.