The days when you used to bemoan your hair being in that awkward mid-length stage are gone. We'd argue that the popularity for medium-length hairstyles all started with Jennifer Aniston's must-have "Rachel" cut in Friends, and we've now reached the peak with an abundance of people desperate for their ownВ shoulder-length look. And how do we know this? According to our beauty insiders, this hair length is one of the most requested looks in salons right now.
We spoke to some of the UK's leading hairstylists about the trends they've seen and what their clients are asking for right now. But perhaps most importantly (because this is totally what we do, too), we wanted to know which celebrities their clients are bringing into the salon. While we all used to clutchВ thatВ picture of Jennifer Aniston, what's the shot in everyone's hands right now? Keep scrolling to find out the most popular mid-length hairstyles right now, and how to look after this style.Emma McIntyre/Getty Images
With its blunt ends and precise structure, Yara Shahidi's mid-length hairstyle is a great option for curly or Afro-textured hair.Rex/Shutterstock
According toВ Show Salon session stylistВ Henna Khalid, most clients who come in reference Olivia Palermo, and confirms that they are "seeing more and more mid-length styles in the salon."Cindy Ord/Getty Images
But it's not just Palermo who is popular with clients. Henna also reveals that KhloГ© Kardashian is also being requested a lot, and there's one particular style they're after.
"Tying in with this, not many customers are really going for straight hair anymore, one of our most asked for styles is now the undone beach wave. This tends to suit and hold really well on mid-length hair."
And the best way to get KhloГ©'s look? We know thatВ Jen AtkinВ regularly tends to the reality star's tresses, so we suggest investing in some of Jen's OuaiВ Haircare products.Frederick M. Brown /Getty Images
Scott Ade, a stylist at Daniel Hersheson, confirms everything we thought about the medium-length hairstyle trend and told us that it's especially popular with those who already have long hair but are fearful of going too short. Gwyneth Paltrow is a name that customers at Hersheson's drop on the regular.
"The mid-length haircut is one that has been around for a while and is a great stepping stone for people who want to do something that feels a bit more risky/edgy with their hair, especially after a long spell of being committed to the long hair trend," explains Ade.Steve Granitz/Getty Images
When wondering how to ask for a medium-length hairstyle, Scott advised the following: "mid-length haircuts are generally left slightly longer in the front and kept squarer at the back-think Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Gwyneth Paltrow."David M. Benett/Getty Images
However, Scott also revealed that "clients want a slightly '70s shape, such as the Lo-LAВ Victoria Beckham's latest look."Jeff Vespa/Getty Images
This is sort of a lob-meets-mid-length style. Worth bearing in mind if you're considering growing your hair out.David M Benett/Getty Images
While Fearne currently has her hair super long, she has often kept her hair in that medium length style. We love this side part with the ends slightly flicked under.David M. Benett/Getty Images
We've made no secret of the fact that we love Jenna ColemanВ and her beauty looks. But her hair is also a winner, too. The slight curlВ makes this look so wearable for any day or evening event.Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images
We've often lusted after LГ©a's blonde tousled hair that rests on her shoulders. This is how French girls do mid-length.C Flanigan/Getty Images
Yes, technically this is a little shorter, but that's only because there's a curl in it. Proof that you can do a lot of different looks with a mid-length cut.Jason LaVeris/Getty Images
While Emma Stone often changes up her hair color, she's quite the stickler for a medium-length cut.Jeff Spicer/Getty Images
Always the same length and always imitated, Alexa Chung's hair is the ultimateВ cool-girl cut.
Best mid-length styling products:Living Proof Dry Shampoo $24Shop
To add oomph to second-day hair.Balmain Texturizing Salt Spray $42Shop
Balmain's salt spray adds texture without any of the stickiness.Ouai Texturizing Hair Spray $26Shop
Ouai's volume-inducing hairspray is brilliant for adding height to the roots.
Wondering how to style medium-length hair to get those perfect beachy waves? Ahn Co Tran let us know his secrets. You've likely seen his casual, beachy, textured waves all over Instagram and Pinterest.
Here's how Tran gets this signature look:
- ApplyВ Oribe Balm d'Or Heat Styling ShieldВ to damp hair. This smooths the hair and protects it from heat.
- Roughly blow dry hair about 75%В (sometimes Tran rough dries only 20%, sometimes 100% depending on the hair's texture). Don't be gentle here, your goal is to create volume. Turn your head over and leave the brush on the counter.
- Finish the blow-out by smoothing hair with a boar bristleВ brush.
- Section hair from ear-to-ear leaving a front section and a back section.
- The longer your hair, the fatter your curling iron should be. A clampless curling iron like the priceyВ T3 Whirl Trio Interchangeable Styling WandВ is a greatВ option, but Tran uses one with a clamp. Always leave the ends out when curling.
- Tran works in horizontals when curling hair, starting from the bottom up. He takes 1-inch sections and curls toward the face. On the next section, he curls away from the face. This makes the hair look more natural.
- For the last section on the top of the horizontal, he always curls away from the face.
- Continue curling hair around the head, always alternating the direction of the curl. Never touch the curls. Let them lieВ there, cooling.
- Once all the hair is curled, Tran moves to his products. For dry hair, he uses a serum, which he runs through hair mid-shaft to end. He recommendsВ Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Cream. He also recommendsВ Oribe Apres Beach Wave and Shine, which he sprays at the roots, lifting hair up. For fine hair that needs volume, Tran usesВ Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray, thoughВ ShuВ Uemura Texture WaveВ is another great option. Hold hair up and spray at the roots.
- If you have fine hair and need more volume at the roots, Tran recommends theВ Tangle Teezer. You simply tease hair at the roots with it.
- Muss your hair by massaging the roots and scrunching your hair with your hands. You want a textured, lived-in look. You don't want your hair to appear as if a curling iron touched it. Use your hands and don't use a brush or comb.
- To get that piece-y look, Tran tells Refinery29 that he swears byВ Leonor Greyl Paris Eclat Naturel.В He warms a dime-sized amount in his palms and then finger-combs the curls back into shape. The styling cream holds the shape of the curl.
After more haircut ideas? What about one of these shoulder-length styles?